"Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness…”
These three unalienable rights are declared to all human beings by the Declaration of Independence. These are rights we are born with and rights that over time many have fought and died to protect.
I’m reminded of this quote and these three rights as we approach (quickly) the 4th of July and their meaning is not lost on me as I reflect on recent events in our nation. When I heard about the shooting in Orlando I was heartbroken. However, the following week showed an out pour of love and support from all over towards the victims and their families, a spreading of light, if you will. It lifted my soul.
This 4th of July, as we gather around with family and friends to celebrate the Independence of our nation and those three unalienable, protected rights, let’s reach out and unite with our neighbors. Let’s spread the love and light as far as we possibly can this Independence Day.
Here are 5 ways to get you started with spreading the love this holiday:
1. Invite a new neighbor to your BBQ. Have them bring their family and create a new friendship!
2. Push yourself to perform a random act of kindness this 4th of July weekend. Buy the next person in line their cup of coffee, or help someone carry out their groceries. (It feels soooo good to help!)
3. Light up your yard with 4th of July lights to show your patriotism and throw in one of my rainbow solar powered path lights to show your support for Orlando.
4. Compliment someone. So easy, but it can mean so much. I’ve had strangers pay me a random compliment and it seriously brightens up my day.
5. Volunteer for a community event, or to host a neighborhood party. What better way to meet new friends than by serving food together, or planning neighborhood games!
Repeat after me. Life. Liberty. The pursuit of happiness. Those are YOUR rights and you should celebrate them this 4th of July! Continue to let your light shine!